Kali Zhunis Bathhouse
Hundreds of historical heritage sites are located on the territory of Zhambyl region. The Kali Zhunis Bathhouse is an architectural monument located at the intersection of Baizak Batyr and Kazybek Bi streets, dating back to the beginning of the 19th century. It was researched and restored in 1986 and 2002.
The bathhouse is considered an architectural monument of the Aulie-Ata period. The famous Ibn Sina also devoted many works to the topic of bathhouses. He wrote that bathhouse rooms should be spacious and bright, uniformly warm, with abundant water, and walls decorated with soul-pleasing paintings, which greatly benefits the human body. The bathhouse not only cleansed the body but was also a place where politicians, merchants, military personnel, and city residents resolved many issues, relaxed, and restored their strength.
The bathhouse was built by Kali Zhunis, a resident of the city of Aulie-Ata, at his own expense in 1906. It is crowned with 10 ceremonial domes, has 10 rooms of various sizes connected by arched passages. Its thick walls, small window openings, ventilation holes at the tops of domes, and underfloor heating system are characteristic of medieval Eastern bathhouses.
Water from the well in the courtyard was delivered to the boiler inside the bathhouse using a water wheel. The bathhouse was heated continuously around the clock. It is known from history that the Kali Zhunis Bathhouse operated until the 1920s.
According to historical records, Kali Zhunis led a very simple lifestyle. To build the bathhouse, he invited craftsmen from Fergana and Bukhara. The craftsmen, having traveled a long way, saw his modest living conditions and doubted he had the means to build a bathhouse. Then Kali Zhunis brought the craftsmen into his house and showed them two chests full of gold and silver, which left them astonished.
Thus, Kali Zhunis dedicated all his accumulated wealth for the benefit of the people.
